My friend made some taco soup for tonight and told me it was egg, milk and wheat free but there was whey in the seasoning and was that ok. Well, I said yes, but I really, honestly, have no clue.
So I did some research, and this is what I found.
Whey and Casein are two completely different proteins found in milk.
Milk contains about 80% casein protein and 20% whey. So usually, people who are allergic or intolerant to milk, can't have the casein protein.
When an enzyme (or acid) is put in the milk, both the casein and whey will separate into two different liquids. The casein will sink and have a whitish heavy looking texture, while the whey will float and be a liquidy "milky" type liquid.
Whey is taken out of cheese and yogurt making (the casein is the important part).
Cottage cheese, also known as "curds and whey" is simply milk separated by enzymes into the lumpy casein curds, and the milky liquid whey!
Whey was found to be a great fat digesting bio-available protein, so soon hereafter, the great whey protein craze took off. This is how these crazy large buckets of whey and protein came to existence.
Also loads of people use casein and whey pure protein as health supplements (or body-building supplements). They both have different attributes such as fast and easily digested for the whey protein (great for right after a workout) while slow and full of amino acidsfor the casein (which helps bulk up muscle).
For health and workout people, take both, they are both very beneficial... Or simply eat yogurt and cottage cheese! Go the Natural Easy way ;)
how I miss thee cottage cheese



No comments:
Post a Comment