Sunday, July 7, 2013

Shrimp Risotto (4 people, 2 1/4 cups rice)

Hi!
I just made a really delicious Shrimp Risotto. Risotto is a type of rice recipe. It's really delicious but a little time consuming. If you want to impress, risotto is the way to go (in my opinion). It's a type of creamy white rice (no cream, don't worry) that cooks for quite some time, while I (or you) stir it and pamper it until it has the right consistency and flavoring you are looking for. It's an Italian Mediterranean dish. It's flavorful, moist and really, really tasty.


I decided to make mine with Shrimp. because I had some :) You could call me an ultimate pantry cooker. I rarely go out of my way to go to the store and buy whatever I need to make a dish. EASY if my motto.

I got a couple of ideas for risotto recipes online (I've never actually made one before). This one recipe I found (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/white-wine-risotto.html) on the dummies website, called for celery, which I had, so I chose this one as my starter risotto recipe.

Here is what I did, and how I did it. Remember i cook ovo-lacto-wheat free! :)




Ingredients:

Rice
White Onion (I used half of a HUGE white onion)
Garlic (I have this garlic in a jar thing I use), so one small spoonful of garlic
Olive oil (as much as coats the pan)
Red Peppers (I used half of a super duper spicy pepper)
Half a bottle of white wine (always use more than in the recipe)
Salt and pepper, of course
Herb Blend

Shrimp
Olive Oil butter


That's it. There's a lot, I know, I don't usually cook with that many ingredients, but it was fun!

Now for the Process:

I first cooked the shrimp in a... let's say, bunch of boiling water with Cajun seasoning (if you like it hot), cumin and Chili Powder. I used the Kroger Raw Shrimp Shell-on (that's what I had). When they turned nice and pink, I waited a little and shelled them. KEEP THE WATER. It'll be the broth for your risotto.

RISOTTO!

First, dice your onions and celery into even pieces. Cut your red pepper into tiny little bits.

Use a deep-large pan or large pot. (I don't have pots yet, so I'm only cooking with a deep pan or simple pans.) Cover the bottom of the deep-large pan or pot with olive oil, let is get warm and throw the above chopped ingredients in the oil, add the spoonful of garlic. Salt and pepper.

Stir with a wooden spoon for about 10 minutes on low medium heat. The onions with become a little see-through and a little soft.

Throw in the rice. (About 2 1/4 cups of white rice for 4 people.) Let it simmer in the oil and vegetable concoction for about 5 minutes, don't forget to constantly stir. This is called browning.

When the 5 minutes are up, pour the half bottle of white wine. Get a nice bottle of white wine, never cook with cheap wine, it makes for cheap foods. 
Let the rice absorb the wine. When the rice seems to be boiling itself, add  about a cup and a half of the simmering shrimp water.
When that seems to be boiling itself, repeat the shrimp water stage, until the rice is fully cooked and looks a little goopy.

TASTE your foods, at all times of the cooking process. Even if the rice is still hard. Salt and pepper to liking.

 Once your risotto is tasty, goopy and warm, recook the shrimp.

Sear the shrimp in some olive oil butter and some herb blend in a pan. When they are a little brown, serve them on the plate next to the very warm risotto. If you are having guests, I would suggest a side salad to complete the plate (maybe a baby spinach and tomato salad for color). Also, your guests might be able to eat cheese, so have a bowl of Parmesan on the table for them to sprinkle their risotto with.

I think that's it. I really hope you love this recipe. I loved it and Tony loved it too. WOOO!
























No comments:

Post a Comment